Search This Blog

Live each day as if it were your last. Someday, you'll be right.


Friday, June 29, 2012

Diversity

Diversity (It can even be appreciated in an election year)




"I feel my heart break to see a nation ripped apart by its own greatest strength - its diversity." ~ Melissa Etheridge

What if everyone were just like me? While I like to think that I am AWESOME, (and I am, by the way), I don't possess all of the talents necessary to make this world go 'round. I don't have enough empathy. I am a loner. I am an observer rather than a socializer. I analyze situations from afar rather than joining in at ground zero. 

Because I know this about myself, I know that I need others around me to COMPLEMENT me. I cannot expect everyone to think and act as I do (and I thank God they don't, because then some of us would be unnecessary).

That being said, you out there who are different from me, I want to be your friend. I want you to get me out of my shell and make me do things sometimes that I would never do on my own. In turn, I will help you be more introspective and contemplative. We can be a great team.

This is extremely oversimplified, because there are many more multi-faceted individuals than the two in my example, but, I hope you get my drift.

Just think, if other people who are different from you bug you, how much do you think you may get on their last nerves?

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" ~ Luke 6:41

This, being an election year, has stirred all kinds of interchanges among people, many of whom are normally good friends, coworkers and church members, which makes it a good time to remember how much we need to treat others as we wish to be treated.

Don't make the mistake of believing your opinion is superior. "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." ~ Matthew 23:12

No comments:

Post a Comment