Search This Blog

Live each day as if it were your last. Someday, you'll be right.


Thursday, December 27, 2012

Off the Grid

Outrageous & Outhouses & Outliers

I'm pretty embarrassed to admit this, but back in the 80s, I thought the world was coming to an end. I thought that mankind had used up all its chances and was heading for a disaster of major proportions, such as the apocalypse, the end of the world, the rapture...etc.

Anyway, you may already know that in response to this, I birthed all my children at home, without medical intervention or drugs of any kind. After they were born, there was no school good enough to teach them critical thinking, so I illegally schooled them at home...all the way up to college.



We lived off the grid for many years as vegetarian hippies of a sort. It all started when we couldn't find a place to rent with 5 kids. We could've had dogs and cats, but children were not good bets for investment properties. So, we were lucky enough to become caretakers of an abandoned Baptist Camp. The cabins were completely gutted, but there was gravity flow water and outhouses. We purchased a wood stove and made a home for our family for many happy years. 



Our children provided most of the entertainment. When we weren't sitting around the woodstove listening to me read the Little House on the Prairie series, the kids were doing all kinds of comedy and musical routines that kept us in stitches. We were also regular patrons at the library...I overheard one librarian refer to us as "heavy users." 

Sometimes I look back and think that those days happened to someone else, but then I smell the pine leaves, remember seeing a small child barreling down a snow covered hill in a large stainless steel bowl, and I think, hey, that would make a good story. Too bad I'm not a good writer...

No comments:

Post a Comment